Our church was founded between 1830 and 1832 by Alexander and Martha Neal, along with James and Hattie Oxford, and Jack and Lydia Denton making it one of the oldest churches in the state of Arkansas.
Our property goes back to an original deed that can be traced back to the time when the President was Millard Fillmore in 1851.
Our church has dealt with a couple of tragedies over the years. On April 18, 1880, a cyclone destroyed the log building which doubled as the Goshen Church and the schoolhouse. In 1944, the church that was built in its place burned down and was replaced with the brick structure in the picture above.
During the year of 1882, our church hired its first permanent preacher, Frank Naylor.
Our church has always been a strong church in our neighborhood and helping where we can. On February 3, 1936, the trustees deeded a section of property to the directors of School District 108 of Washington County for a new school.
During the 1980's and 1990's, the United Methodist Women of Goshen held an annual fundraising event. These were two-day garage sales which also included crafts, breakfasts served in the basement, and the raffle of a quilt made by ladies of the church.
In 2002, our Church hosted a fundraiser, a crawfish boil/chicken dinner. This event was held on the lawn of the parsonage. This event is still held today with the addition of a Car and Bike show that awards trophies for various categories.
Most recently, March 3, 2023, we have started a Senior Outreach Center for the seniors of Goshen. It is open on most Fridays from 10 AM till 3 PM for anyone who would like to attend in the area. We have games, refreshments, special events, and speakers for the attendees. We hope this helps prove the seniors in this area something do at least once a week to get out and about.
Goshen United Methodist Church 122 State Hwy 45 Goshen, AR 72735 firstname.lastname@example.org